Things to do: Visit Geelong Botanic Gardens (GBG)
This resource is brought to you by PAL Accounting & Advisory Geelong.
Are you planning a trip to Geelong, Australia, and you want to make the most of the time you’re going to spend there? Then you’re most likely already searching for the best places to visit and the most entertaining things you can do in Geelong. In that case let us make a quick recommendation: don’t miss out on the chance to visit the Geelong Botanic Gardens.
Established in 1851 and set on 200 acres, the Geelong Botanic Gardens are a wonderful place to visit, whether you’re a local or a tourist looking for an idyllic corner of nature to stimulate your senses.
Get ready to discover the joys of nature
The Geelong Botanic Gardens are located in the heart of Eastern Park, near the Geelong Waterfront, and host an impressive collection of plants from around the world, so you’ll get to feast your eyes on a wide variety of plants, trees and flowers and enjoy amazing scents as you walk through the garden’s tracks.
The gardens can be visited from 8:00 am to 7:00 pm during Daylight Savings and from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm all other times, and entrance is free. That means you have plenty of time to explore and wander around its gardens and lawns, and enjoy everything they have to offer.
And if you’re the organized type and you want to make sure you see the gardens in all their splendour, you can also book Group tours and guided walks. That way you’ll be able to discover all the marvellous secrets that the gardens hold.
Beyond the greenery
It’s not just lush vegetation and mesmerizing landscapes that you get to enjoy when visiting the Geelong Botanic Gardens. The gardens are also home to some of the city’s most iconic heritage buildings:
- the statue of Queen Victoria and the Ladies Kiosk that were relocated from the city
- the fountains that were moved from to the garden from Market Square
So apart from basking in nature’s magnificence, you also have the opportunity to quench your curiosity and learn some very interesting facts about the history of Geelong.
Things to do at Geelong Botanic Gardens
Wondering how you can spend your time while you’re wandering around the Geelong Botanic Gardens? Here are some ideas that might appeal to you:
- Go on a bug hunt
- Make friends with the frogs in the pond
- Look for possums in the dragon trees
- Stroll through the camellia walk
- Listen to the lovely birds sounds
- Take this opportunity to teach your kids about nature’s wonders
- Look for all the sculptures scattered throughout the garden
- Stop at the Gardens’ Teahouse for a short break and a refreshing drink
- Put your photography skills to the test and try to capture stunning images of the garden
- Bring your furry friend along and explore the garden’s tracks together
- Allow yourself to relax your mind and disconnect for a while